Saturday, May 25, 2013

Sample Musings #6: Slippery Souls by Rachael H. Dixon

Since I have to read through many book samples in the process of deciding what to review for the blog, I figured why not do a "Sample Musings" feature that reflects some of my initial thoughts on the samples I read whether good or bad--just whatever jumps out at me. Sometimes they will be short and sweet and sometimes they may be long and rambling...just like my thoughts :)  

Sample Musings are based solely on the sample reading and do not reflect a review of the entire book. Cover art will be rated simply as good, okay, or bad.





Slippery Souls
by  

Book Blurb: Libby has hit a bad patch in life, and just when she thinks things can't get any worse she's killed in a car accident alongside her dog Rufus. During their transition to the afterlife's Sunray Bay, Rufus somehow manages to absorb her soul - which, in turn, gives him human-like qualities and renders her soulless. Accompanied by her now talking dog, Libby tries to unravel the mystery of her slippery soul, encountering many setbacks and dilemmas along the way. She has no idea why a group of monster slayers, headed by an ex-convict, are hunting her down, and when she teams up with rogue Peace & Order Maintenance Officer, Grim, she's shocked to discover that there's a mob of disgruntled vampires and a very angry mayor hot on their heels too. Libby has never felt so unpopular, and begins to wonder whether it's possible to die twice in one day. 

~~~oOo~~~

Sample Musings: Talking dog! Yep, that fact pretty much hooked me to read the sample, though I actually liked the story blurb, too. It sounded like a fun premise -- a humorous paranormal afterlife romp by the seaside. Oh, and there is a talking dog. Did I mention that? I kind of have a thing for talking animal characters, especially if they are on the snarky side. I actually was already aware of this book. I remember when it popped up on Smashwords and I even put it in my Library there so I wouldn’t forget about it, but I’ll be damned if I remember it having a talking dog as I would probably have tried it by now. I read all the way through the sample, but unfortunately, not because the story grabbed me and pulled me through. I just wanted to get to that damn talking dog and it wasn’t until the end that he showed up.

The part at the beginning when Libby is killed, therefore setting up her afterlife, was interesting because the mysterious guy that runs her over seems to be doing it intentionally. He appears to have some unrevealed reason for doing it, which builds some intrigue that there may be a bigger purpose to Libby’s afterlife, and it made me wonder who or what this guy is. That part and the brief section at the end when the talking dog comes into the story were the only parts that really interested me. Interestingly,
these are the only parts that involve Libby. The middle of the sample involves other characters. The rest of the sample kind of, well, bored me. I had to push myself through to finish the sample. I found the way the chapters jumped around in time to be confusing even though they are labeled so you know which time frame the chapter focuses on. I also don't think I was that keen on the writing style but maybe that is a reflection of not being that interested in the story.

Sample Verdict:
As much as I love me a talking dog character, I think I will be passing on this book. I really, really wanted to like this sample, but the parts that bored me overwhelmed the parts that interested me and the only thing that compelled me to finish was the hope that the talking dog would show up in the sample, which it did briefly... at the end.

Cover Art:
Okay




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! If your comment does not appear immediately then it was probably caught by the spam filter for some reason and is awaiting moderation.