Saturday, May 18, 2013

Sample Musings #5: HIdden Gates by D.T. Dyllin


Since I have to read through many book samples in the process of deciding what to review for the blog, I figured why not do a "Sample Musings" feature that reflects some of my initial thoughts on the samples I read whether good or bad--just whatever jumps out at me. Sometimes they will be short and sweet and sometimes they will be longer and rambling...just like my thoughts :)  

Sample Musings are based solely on the sample reading and do not reflect a review of the entire book. Cover art will be rated simply as good, okay, or bad.






Hidden Gates
by D.T. Dyllin 

Sample Musings: There are several types of characters in this paranormal world: Seers, Gatekeepers, Guardians, and Speakers. Though there was some minimal explanation about them.  It wasn't described clearly in the space of the sample what each one does, but you can probably get the gist from the titles. It was explained that Seers must date and mate Gatekeepers and it is verboten to do the same with Guardians. Bryn and PJ have been besties since they were kids. PJ is a Seer, Bryn is a Guardian. Bryn is crushing on PJ and PJ is clueless. PJ likes Evan, a Gatekeeper. PJ comes off as bit immature. Bryn is like a sad puppy because he seems to want to express his feelings for PJ but can't. I'm sensing a lot of romantic angsting. This is a New Adult book so I assume characters are older teen.

Though this book is on several dragon shifter type lists I don't see many reviews mentioning anything about that. I'm curious where the dragon shifter aspect comes into the story. The sample doesn't give much info about this world or what the Seer, Guardian, Gatekeeper, Speaker roles actually do to protect the world. I assume these roles will be explained more as the story progresses.

Sample Verdict: I liked the chemistry between PJ and Bryn. I liked Bryn's character right away, but worry that PJ might become annoying. I'm interested enough to want to read more so will put this one in the review pool.


Cover Art: Good



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! If your comment does not appear immediately then it was probably caught by the spam filter for some reason and is awaiting moderation.