Friday, May 3, 2013

Sample Musings #3: A Fall of Silver by Amy Corwin

Since I have to read through so many book samples in the process of deciding what to review for the blog, I figured why not do a "Sample Musings" feature that reflects some of my initial thoughts on the samples I read whether good or bad--just whatever jumps out at me. Sometimes they will be short and sweet and sometimes they may be longer and rambling...just like my thoughts :)  

Sample Musings are based solely on the sample reading and do not reflect a review of the entire book. Cover art will be judged simply as good, okay, or bad






A Fall of Silver
by Amy Corwin

Sample Musings: I wasn't sure about this one at first, but I kept reading and found myself getting more interested. I was a little hung up on the heroine's nickname -- Quicksilver. It feels very awkward... too many syllables? I dunno. I'll probably get used to it or I'll change the name in my head. Anyway, I did start to get into the story and liked it better as it progressed. I was pulled through to the end of the sample. Silver's (see, I'm already doing it!) weapon of choice is a whip made of some kind of "silvery monofilament" that can cut through the vamps. I thought that was interesting and kind of different though I don't need to be reminded repeatedly of what it is made of. Being told this about three times in the space of a 10% sample makes me wonder how many more times I will be thus educated in the remainder of the book. Silver...um, Quicksilver, also appears to have some bad history with vamps in her past that is hinted at and by the end of the sample a romantic interest is introduced.

Sample Verdict: I'm interested and want to read more but I just realized it is actually the second book of a series.  I'm putting it in the review pool so I won't forget about it, but I will have to read the first book before digging into this one.

Cover art: Okay


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! If your comment does not appear immediately then it was probably caught by the spam filter for some reason and is awaiting moderation.