Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Sample Musings #1: Death Lies Between Us / Becoming Red / Aversion

Since I have to read through so many book samples in the process of deciding what to review for the blog, I figured why not do a "Sample Musings" feature that reflects some of my initial thoughts on the samples I read whether good or bad--just whatever jumps out at me. Sometimes they will be short and sweet and sometimes they may be longer and rambling...just like my thoughts :)  

Sample Musings are based solely on the sample reading and do not reflect a review of the entire book. Cover art will be judged simply as good, okay, or bad.


~~~oOo~~~


Death Lies Between Us
by Jody A. Kessler

Sample Musings: I liked the sample except maybe for the present tense. I was conscious of it for the entire sample. I definitely felt Nathaniel's disgruntlement and his frustration/confusion at a hopeless attraction to Jules. It looks like there is also the obligatory "mean girl" character as well.

Sample Verdict: I'm interested enough to give this one a try if I can get used to the present tense writing. Sometimes it works for me and sometimes it doesn't.  Added to the review pool.

Cover Art: Good


Becoming Red
by Jess Raven & Paula Black

Sample Musings: A compelling cover and an interesting enough blurb prompted me to read the sample of Becoming Red. I didn't get very far in the sample before I put it down. The prose was overly descriptive to the point of being purple. There were often long sentences consisting of multiple commas that seemed to follow a consistent pattern. It created a monotonous beat to the narrative. There was a sex scene in the sample that was so full of purple prose and euphemism that I wasn't even sure at one point if they actually "did" anything. I would have expected more direct language from a book using the term "erotic" in the tag line and description. One thing I did like in the short time I had with the sample was Connal's character. 

Sample Verdict: I will be passing on this one. The writing style didn't suit me and I don't think I could take a whole novel of it.

Cover Art: Good



Aversion
by Kenechi Udogu

Sample Musings: The sample of Aversion had some similar elements to Glimpse by Stacey Wallace Benefiel.  Mostly that the teenaged heroine has a special psychic power that she uses to stop a tragedy or disaster from happening to someone. She also ends up having some type of connection with the popular boy who appears to be the romantic interest of the story. There are also other teens with the same power. 

There are differences to the story--different world, different rules, different powers--so it is not the same thing as Glimpse, I just felt it had a similar vibe. 

Sample Verdict:  I was interested in the story and I wanted to keep reading. This one goes in the review pool.

Cover Art: Good


~~~oOo~~~


Do you like Sample Musings? Tell me what you think! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! If your comment does not appear immediately then it was probably caught by the spam filter for some reason and is awaiting moderation.