Sunday, August 14, 2011

Review: Bob Moore: No Hero by Tom Andry

Bob Moore: No Hero
by Tom Andry

Genre: SpecFic>Superhero>Mystery/Detective
Word Count: approx. 39,530 (Novella)
Publication Date: January 8, 2011
Print length: 186 pgs
ePub pages:  108
Kindle locations: 2044

Bob Moore, Book 1











DESCRIPTION from Goodreads:
Super powered humans started appearing 30 years ago. Now, they are everywhere. Bob Moore, Private Eye, dares to investigate those who could incinerate him with a thought. When he is called to help a super from his past, however, he'll be pushed to his limit. When supers and the police think there is no crime, can he get to the truth? Will he want to for the man that destroyed his marriage? 

MY THOUGHTS:
A non-powered P.I. investigates a case of disappearing superheroes in a world that caters to the super powered.

Bob Moore: No Hero started off with a bang, or maybe I should say it was on fire considering Bob was in a tree that was set aflame by a super he was investigating.  I thought it was a great start, it grabbed my attention and made me want to keep reading.  However, after the first few chapters, which were action-packed, the story pacing slowed down for me quite a bit and became a bit mundane, but only for awhile. Things picked up again when Bob finally accepted the case and started investigating.

I did like the dialogue between Bob and Khan and would like to have had more of that. Khan is a super who works for Bob but whose powers have a bit of a glitch. I liked this character. Overall the dialogue was comfortable but a couple of times it felt like Bob was channeling an old detective noir movie.  Bob himself seems a bit of a jaded character. He doesn't like the supers much and doesn't have a lot of good things to say about them, but then he does have some history with them that would contribute to this. Also, the world he lives in caters to the supers and seems to treat the non-powered like second-class citizens.

Andry has certainly created a world that is an interesting "what if" scenario that considers what might happen if super powered humans suddenly started showing up in the population in significant quantities. One of the questions I had after reading this book is where did the superheroes come from?  Superheroes in this world are a somewhat recent phenomena but I don't recall it ever being explained why they suddenly started to appear.  The curious kitty in me wants to know the whys and whats behind this.  It is an interesting superhero world and though we learn quite a bit about it, I wonder if the next book will go into more detail.

The classic superhero characteristics that comic book lovers can appreciate fill the pages of this story: spandex (lots of it), molded masks, secret identities, nifty gadgets, super geniuses, and campy names. On the other hand, I can't say that the supers are the focus of this story like they would be in a comic book (not that I'm an expert on comic books, mind you).  The story is told from Bob's perspective so it is more about the world that Bob lives in and his interactions with the supers in his investigations and daily life, his back story, world-building, and the detective aspect of the story. When the story got too detective-ish without action scenes to keep me glued to my ereader, I started to lose some interest until Bob got to the house where he makes a bizarre discovery. This is where things really start to get interesting. Hey, I read paranormal...I love me some weirdness :) Bob also has some emotional baggage related to the supers, but it adds an edge to his character and it is also relevant to the story.

I liked the writing style and the world Andry created. I also really liked the ending and how the mystery was resolved. I was definitely glued to the last third of this book. I didn't guess the culprit, but I came close.  I felt it was a solid book with solid writing but it didn't completely fulfill my personal reading needs. If the story hadn't slowed down for me and if I had more appreciation of the detective aspect of the book, I would probably rate this a bit higher.  


Rating: 3 (I Liked It)

Typos Found: 5

This is a free ebook so it's a no-risk read (but it's also available in paperback).  The sequel to this book, Bob Moore: Desperate Times, is novel length and due to be released August 2011.


~~~ oOo ~~~ 


This book is available in both ebook and paperback formats. You can find Tom Andry on the web at:

Website: http://www.tomandry.com/
Blog: http://www.tomandry.com/extras/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/AVRant_Tom
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bob-Moore-Investigations/219761961396719
Get the book!
More venue links available on Tom's website 
Find it on Goodreads HERE
Check out the Whatcha Reading? Book Spotlight for Bob Moore: No Hero right here on IPBR.




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. I really appreciate you taking the time and giving your feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review but i'm not really into this kind of books..... nice blog you've got, a lot seems to be going on here. http://everyauthorsnightmare.blogspot.com.. here's mine. pay me a visit and lets have literary coffee

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! If your comment does not appear immediately then it was probably caught by the spam filter for some reason and is awaiting moderation.