Friday, November 5, 2010

Review: Cattitude by Edie Ramer

Title: Cattitude
Author:  Edie Ramer

Genre:  Light Fantasy Romance
Format:  ebook
Publication Date:  August 25, 2010
Word Count: approx.  90,490
Page count on Sony Reader:  206
Source:  ebook provided by author





 
DESCRIPTION from Goodreads: 

It's all in the Cattitude...

After Belle the cat switches bodies with a psychic on the run from a murderer, she wants her perfect cat body back instead of this furless human one. But she doesn't count on falling in love with her former owner. Or that a CEO and a beauty queen want to use up her nine lives. Now is her chance to prove anything a human can do, a cat can do better.

* * * * *

MY REVIEW: 
I quite enjoyed this light romantic tale of body switching.  As an owner of three cats, I have to admit I may be a little biased. I gravitate to cat-based stories like a dog to a chew toy, but the story still needs to hold its own and this one certainly did.

Belle (the cat) and Sorcha (the human) switch bodies (or souls, if you prefer) and experience what it is like to live like the other. They must adapt to their new experiences while dealing with murderers, unfamiliar amorous feelings, mean nannies, and lonely little girls.... among other things.

The narrative and dialogue were comfortable and I found myself easily drawn from one page to the next.  The characters were interesting and Belle, as a human, was just as stubborn and independent as my own cats. I could easily relate to all of her cat-related behaviors.  I also really liked the banter between Max and his brother, Ted. 

There is intrigue to the story but I wouldn’t call it a mystery since the bad guys are revealed to the reader from the start. It is more a slowly unraveling plot of what happens to both Belle and Sorcha in their newfound bodies,  what happens to the bad guys and their evil plans, and how it all ends up happily ever after.  And there are HEAs all over the place.  Except maybe for poor Ted… perhaps the author will take pity on him and give him a book of his own one day (hint, hint, nudge, nudge).

My only nitpick is the number of typos.  There were quite a few, but the other elements of the story were strong enough that I didn’t factor that into the rating.

Cattitude is a charming story for anyone who might enjoy a sweet romance with a “Freaky Friday” feline twist. 

Rating:  4 – I Really Liked It

Typos found: 15-17

* * * * *

This book is available as an ebook.  Keep your eyes peeled for Edie’s upcoming release, Dead People. You can find Edie Ramer on the web at:

Website: http://www.edieramer.com
Blog: http://www.edieramer.com/blog/index.php
Twitter: http://twitter.com/edieramer
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=747112424

Get the book!  Kindle, Smashwords, B & N

5 comments:

  1. Michelle, this is a great summary without giving away any spoilers! Thanks for the terrific review.

    I'll have to fix the typos. And I thought I had such a clean copy. I'm embarrassed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, don't be embarrassed... it is just part of the territory. And the wonderful thing about ebooks and being indie is you can fix this stuff in a flash. :) Let me know when the revised version is uploaded and I'll adjust it above. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a good review! So good, I just clicked on the link and one-clicked for my Kindle!

    (I had to use my WordPress ID to comment)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks LK. I hope you enjoy it too. Your review is coming soon ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! If your comment does not appear immediately then it was probably caught by the spam filter for some reason and is awaiting moderation.